By Michael Zimmermann
Digital Goods, Ebooks
A note on our eBooks: Our eBooks use Digital Rights Management (DRM), managed by Adobe, a systematic approach to copyright protection for digital media. Our eBooks are currently compatible with the Adobe Digital Editions reader, paired with an Adobe ID. Please see the eBook help page for more information on setting up and reading your eBooks.
Micronutrient therapy is taking its rightful place in mainstream medicine, backed by substantive evidence of its efficacy in preventative medicine and therapeutics. The author has drawn from scientific literature, the pioneering works of Lothar Burgenstein, and personal clinical experience to provide a reference that offers in-depth reviews and original articles and serves as a valuable resource for health professionals.
The selective use of micronutrients is a simple and practical method of nutritional therapy with proven effectiveness. This new handbook gives both professional and interested consumers a thorough understanding of the prevention and treatment of illness through balanced nutrition.
- The basic principles of micronutrients – Micronutrient therapy concerns the treatment of illness with substances that are normally present in the human body, such as vitamins, minerals, trace elements, amino acids, and essential fatty acids. In this introductory section, you learn how to use this knowledge for enhanced health and well-being.
- What is healthy nutrition? – This section introduces the basic building blocks of the balanced diet, and includes a brief introduction to vegetarian nutrition.
The micronutrients – In this selection, all micronutrients are presented, along with a discussion of their functions in the body and their therapeutic benefits. The effects of deficiencies, and their manifestations, are described in detail.
- Micronutrients through the life cycle – Micronutrient needs do not remain constant throughout life. During pregnancy and breastfeeding, for example, requirements are higher for many micronutrients. The nutritional needs of children differ greatly from those of the aged. The effect of nutrition and lifestyle on longevity is also discussed in this chapter.
- Micronutrients in prevention and therapy – This important section provides detailed information on the use of micronutrients in the long term prevention and therapy of specific conditions and diseases.
- Appendix – Here you will find a variety of additional information on drug-micronutrient interactions, nutrient – nutrient interactions, and laboratory assessment of micronutrient status.
About the Author:
Michael Zimmerman, MD. Is Director of Postgraduate Studies at the Laboratory for Human Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland.