By John & Tina Chen
Chinese Herbal Formulas for Veterinarians, by John Chen, Tina Chen, Signe Beebe, and Michael Salewski, is a companion volume to Chinese Medical Herbology and Pharmacology and Chinese Herbal Formulas and Applications.
Chinese Herbal Formulas for Veterinarians integrates foundations of Chinese herbal medicine with contemporary research and clinical applications in veterinary medicine. While maintaining a firm focus on equipping todayâ€™s Traditional Chinese Medicine professional for superior practice, the authorâ€™s carefully combine perspectives of pharmacology, relevant research and clinical experience to provide a clear understanding for veterinarians who wish to integrate Chinese herbal medicine into their clinical practice.
- Detailed traditional and veterinary uses, preparation, administration, dosages, combinations, cautions, contradictions and toxicology.
- Comprehensive pharmacology of herbal medicinal formulas, with insights on concurrent uses of herbal formulas and pharmaceuticals.
- Documentation from clinical studies and published research, as well as pre-publication review contributions from over 140 academic, clinical, research and regulatory professionals.
- Clinical experience and application of herbal formulas in veterinary practice
- Authors comments and case studies drawn from clinical experience
- Suggested acupuncture treatment to complement each herbal formula
- Profiles of the doctors without whom there would be no Chinese medicine: insights into the historical context and backgrounds of those famous individuals who shaped our understanding of disease patterns, treatment strategies and herbal formulas.
Praise for Chinese Herbal Formulas for Veterinarians
“Chinese herbal medicine was first used in animals over two thousand years ago. This groundbreaking reference text contains comprehensively-organized information on veterinary application of classical Chinese herbal formulas. The authors share their expertise in veterinary herbology, providing readers with valuable clinical information of real-life applications of Chinese herbal formulas in dogs, cats and horses. The practical clinical features, including signs and indications and formulas comparisons, are invaluable for the busy Traditional Chinese Veterinary practitioner to rapidly choose the correct formula during daily clinical practice.”
-Huisheng Xie, DVM PhD MS, President and Head Instructor, Chi Institute of Chinese Medicine. Clinical Associate Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville Florida.
“Chinese Herbal Formulas for Veterinarians is sure to become the classic text in our Chinese herbal medicine program. The balanced approach of biomedicine and tradition harmonizes the right and left practitioner brain and is also a really good read! Matching earlier texts by John Chen and Tina Chen, it is clear, concise and encyclopedic. As the first text of its kind in Western veterinary literature, it provides incredible insight into formulas that practitioners use every day. The pharmacology and evidence base offer a pragmatic rationale for the workings of these potent medicines. The traditional Chinese applications and in-depth analysis make it suitable for veterinarians who want to confidently tailor their prescriptions. Dr. Signe Beebeâ€™s passion and expertise in veterinary Chinese herbal medicine shine through case studies and practical advice illuminating each monograph. For veterinarians who already practice Chinese herbal medicine this text will no doubt become a well-thumbed, dog-eared and indispensable clinical resource. Thank you Dr. Beebe and Dr. Salewski!”
-Barbara Fougere, BSc BVMS (Hons) MODT MHSc (CMed) CVA CVBM President Elect, International Veterinary Acupuncture Association (IVAS) Past President, Veterinary Botanical Medicine Association.