By Pi’an Shen
782 pages, 8.50 x 11.00″
This pioneering book presents an authoritative and comprehensive overview of autoimmune diseases from a clinical perspective and provides a step-by-step methodology for the evaluation and combination of herbal medicine and acupuncture in the management of these generally chronic and often distressing conditions, fully recognizing the application of Chinese medicine alongside Western medicine where appropriate. Written by one of China’s foremost specialists in the field, this book draws on the author’s 50 years of clinical experience to provide an in-depth analysis of his highly practical approach to treatment of the main autoimmune diseases, making it an indispensable companion for all Chinese medicine practitioners and all health professionals with an interest in understanding how Chinese medicine can help their patients.
- Detailed description and analysis of the main autoimmune diseases from a
- Chinese medicine approach, based on the author’s extensive experience in treating tens of thousands of patients over the years in his regular hospital practice.
- Sixteen diseases and numerous common symptoms discussed in depth – diseases include systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis,
- Sjögren’s syndrome, Crohn’s disease, Graves’ disease, and multiple sclerosis
- Full pattern identification and a comprehensive array of clinically effective treatment options for each condition, incorporating herbal medicine and acupuncture as well as major recognition of the role played by diet therapy
- Extensive and informative selection of case histories demonstrating the translation of theory into practice
- Wide spectrum of up-to-date clinical experience from a variety of Chinese sources, thus broadening the information available to practitioners outside
- China while stimulating their thought processes
- Practical discussion of the integration of Chinese medicine alongside
- Western medicine
- More than 70 illustrations, including 43 color photographs
About the Author:
Professor Shen Pi’an graduated in 1962 from Shanghai College of Traditional Chinese Medicine and since then has been working as a doctor in the Shanghai Traditional Chinese Medicine Hospital. He has been Professor and Director of the Rheumatology and Immunology Department at the hospital since the early 1980s. He is currently honorary consultant at the Diakonissen Hospital in Austria and has also lectured in Japan and Taiwan. A prolific author, Professor Shen has written more than 10 books related to immunology, rheumatology and materia medica pharmacology. This is the first of his books to be translated into English.
Praise for Shen’s Textbook on the Management of Autoimmune Diseases with Chinese Medicine
“Professor Shen’s writings impress not only by the clarity of the concepts he expounds, but crucially by the practical relevance and applicability of his work to the reality of the clinic. I can thoroughly recommend this excellent work.”