Translated By Sun Simiao & Sabine Wilms
Trade paperback book
366 pages, 6.00 x 9.00″
This book is a literal translation of the first half of Volume 5 from the Bei Ji Qian Jin Yao Fang 備急千金要方 on pediatrics, composed by Sun Simiao 孫思邈 in the seventh century. It includes the following features:
- 40 pages of introductory matter and 323 pages of main text.
- A critical edition of the Chinese text with the literal English translation on opposing pages.
- Four main sections on “Preface,” “Emergence of the Newborn from the Abdomen,” “Fright Seizures,” and “Intrusive Upset.”
- Extensive translator’s notes that explain individual terms, medical concepts, alternative readings of passages, translation issues, etc.
- Clinical commentary by Dr. Brenda Hood.
- Interspersed throughout the translation and commenting on each major formula in the text, a full translation of the section on pediatrics from the Qian Jin Fang Yan Yi 千金方衍義, a commentary on the Qian Jin Fang composed in 1698 by the famous physician Zhang Lu 張璐.
- Forewords by Peter Firebrace and Genevieve LeGoff.
- A general index and indexes for single herbs and formulas, indications, acupuncture and moxibustion, and proper names.