Translated By Sun Simiao & Sabine Wilms
Trade paperback book
568 pages, 6.00 x 9.00″
This book is a literal translation of the second half of Volume 5 from the Bei Ji Qian Jin Yao Fang 備急千金要方 on pediatrics, composed by Sun Simiao 孫思邈 in the seventh century. It includes the following features:
- 26 pages of introductory matter and 544 pages of main text.
- A critical edition of the Chinese text with the literal English translation on opposing pages.
- Five main sections on “Cold Damage,” “Cough,” “Aggregations, Binds, Distention, and Fullness,” “Welling Abscesses, Flat Abscesses, and Scrofula,” and “Miscellaneous Diseases of Small Children.”
- Extensive translator’s notes that explain individual terms, medical concepts, alternative readings of passages, translation issues, etc.
- Clinical commentary by Dr. Julian Scott.
- Interspersed throughout the translation and commenting on each major formula in the text is commentary on the Qian Jin Fang composed in 1698 by the famous physician Zhang Lu 張璐.
- Forewords by two experienced pediatricians: Dr. Stephen Cowan and Assaf Mor, and a short Preface by Sabine Wilms.
- A general index and indexes for single herbs and formulas, indications, acupuncture and moxibustion, and proper names.